Other Travel Matters

Canadian Visas:

Persons from many countries are required to obtain a Canadian entry visa when entering Canada from the United States. Visas may be obtained from the Canadian Consulate General at 1251 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10020 (tel. (212)596-1700). Consult the Canadian Consulate General for visa regulations concerning your country before making travel arrangements.

Mexican Visas:

Persons from some countries are required to obtain a Mexican entry visa when entering Mexico from the United States. Visas may be obtained from the Mexican Consulate General at 27E. 39st St., New York, NY 10016 (tel. (212) 217-6400).

Advance Notification:

In certain instances, consular officers abroad are required to initiate special clearance procedures for visa applicants. As the normal processing time in such instances is fifteen working days, the Visa Office of the United States Department of State may reduce this processing time through a procedure known as Advance Notification. While this is not a guarantee that a visa will be issued, it may help students, especially those from the former Soviet Union, return to the United States after a visit to their home country or a third country. If you have questions about this service, come to the OIS&F at least one month before you plan to travel.

Travel Within the United States:

In general, no special permission is needed to travel within the continental United States. However, we recommend that you carry with you your passport and I-94 (and I-20 for F-1 students or DS-2019 for J-1 students) when you travel any distance from home.